*Note on Time—this post was supposed to go out yesterday but life. Know what I mean? All the life, and so here we are a day late. But still, magic is real regardless of my timing, and it was the most beautiful day. So…
Happy Autumn Equinox, everyone!
This photo encapsulates my current life nearly completely. Let’s break it down:
1. It’s hard to see my computer but it’s there, underneath the books. Underneath the chaos. The words are always there, marching parades through my mind, and I always want to write. Sometimes chaos wins. Sometimes words win.
2. The books are from two of my most favorite people in the universe. I’m keeping them both close, at this point (the books and the people), because I need them (the books and the people).
3. Pencils, spiral notebooks, metal rods, homework packets. Everywhere, everyone’s stuff is everywhere. Our basement flooded this summer and we are still mid-repairs, so while life keeps going because it does that, all the little people and the big people and the stuff and the cat and the cat’s stuff are smooshed together.
4. Electrolytes, medicine cups, and teacups, yes. This has been a year of much illness, here. We are learning to deal. Mostly. And when we can’t deal, for various reasons, we refer back to number two.
5. Follow Your Heart cheese. This is just pure bliss. Because not everything is bad.
6. Golden Child and frozen Kind bars. Again, pure bliss. Because she is amazing, and family is hard but good and always worth the fight. And Kind bars are their own definition.
This has been a hard year, my friends.
And yet, the seasons cycle through, and things change likewise, and there’s definitely magic in this movement. Hope, and magic, and a balance of dark and light. Moments of balance between day and night. In case you doubt, the equinoxes are proof:
1. the time or date (twice each year) at which the sun crosses the celestial equator, when day and night are of approximately equal length (about September 22 and March 20)
[definition from Oxford Languages]